Rocci Fisch watches what's out there and has a lot to say about it. "Random Thoughts" is a quick-read, running commentary column which features his observations about the news, pop culture and the media, zested up with Rocci's unique humor.
It's Christmas, Make Me Some Figgy Pudding
December 24, 2012
- . . . On second thought make it butterscotch, I like that better.
- . . . After all, who’s ever eaten figgy pudding?
- News4 in Washington has a sea of poinsettias in front of the anchor desk to accent the holiday.
- . . . The anchors seem to be behind the display.
- . . . Someone went out of their way decorating the set, looks ridiculous.
- . . . You can hardly see the anchors; they’re in the distance.
- . . . Somebody thought it was a poppy field.
- . . . David Gregory of NBC News was sitting at the desk with local anchors Richard Jordan and Angie Goff to talk about what (gun control, Sandy Hook) was coming up on “Meet the Press.”
- . . . When they finished discussing the serious stuff he looked down at the sea of red and green and asked if he could have one.
- . . . Goff facetiously said, “We don’t have enough,” an obvious snarky understatement.
- . . . She said it with a smile.
- . . . I guess she was poking fun at how over-the-top the station went to appear festive.
- The great Darlene Love sang “Christmas, Baby Please Come Home” (From Phil Spector’s “A Christmas Gift for You album, (Philles Records, 1963) on “Letterman” last Friday, a yearly tradition.
- . . . She did a wailing soulful job, complimented by Paul Shaffer’s orchestra-sounding band, background vocalists and a team of violinists sitting right in front with Love.
- . . . The same song was performed Saturday night on “CMA’s Country Christmas” (ABC) by country singer Dierks Bentley.
- . . . It was awful.
- . . . It sounded dinky.
- . . . It’s not a country song.
- . . . There was barely a chorus.
- . . . Don’t do it again.
- That “Les Miserables” movie comes out Christmas day.
- . . . It sounds like they pronounce it “Les Miserahb” and leave the “les” off.
- . . . Is that French-ified?
- . . . I guess it would sound funny if you said it like the American word “miserable” made plural with an “s.”
- . . . Do you have to adapt a French accent to say it?
- There’s a SpongeBob (SquarePants) “ch-ch-ch” Chia pet this year. Buy me one.
- . . . UH . . . “Teacher’s Pet” – Doris Day, on Columbia Records, 1958. From movie of the same name in which she starred with Clark Gable.