On June 30, 2018, protestors gathered in Lafayette Park, directly across from the White House to protest the Trump administration's recent policy of separating parents and children illegally crossing the border between the U.S. and Mexico, even in cases where they were seeking asylum.
The subsequent march from Lafayette Park seemed sporadic and not as well organized as the rally itself, perhaps due to the intense heat and unrelenting sunshine.
These are far from any comprehensive coverage of the event. I'm still getting familiar with my OM-D EM-1 Mark II camera and was eager to give it a workout. It performed far better than I did in capturing some of the events of the day.
Many of these images are scans of prints I made shortly after the March, along with some more recent scans of the negatives. Be sure to check out the gallery at the bottom of the page for a wider selection of images. (updated June 19, 2017.)
The last Kodachrome processing lab closed a long time ago. I had an exposed roll that had been sitting around since 1986, first in a drawer, then in the fridge and finally, years later, it ended up in the freezer - just a 35mm film cannister wrapped in aluminum foil. I remembered what was on it, but expected the latent image was long gone. It wasn't!
Back in the early eighties, I had to scrimp and save for every roll of film that I bought. One day I was shopping in Woolworth's and saw a batch of outdated ASA 25 Kodachrome II for about fifty cents a roll, and I bought the whole batch.
It was expensive to process though, and I held back on sending out this last roll. About 23 years later when I was getting back into darkroom work, I remembered this film and even some of the images that were on it. With a freshly mixed batch of Diafine black and white film developer and some free time, I set off to experiment.
I read posts from other photographers who had successfully retrieved images from Kodachrome with black and white chemicals, so I figured I had a good chance of getting something out of it. I would have been happy to see even a trace of what I had photographed.
Diafine is a two-part, compensating film developer with a very long shelf life. Processing temperature is not critical, nor is processing time beyond a minimum three or four minutes in each of the solutions. I processed for four minutes in each bath, A and B.
I was amazed when I unspooled the film and discovered an image. Kodachrome has a black rem-jet carbon backing that has to be removed to make the film transparent. I did this by laying the wet film down in the sink and carefully sponging the backing away. I missed a few bits here and there, though, and these show up as white specks on the final image. The film also had an overall yelllow stain, which fortunately, caused no trouble my Nikon Coolscan.
The biggest treat in doing this was discovering the photos I had made of my niece, Sharon, with her then new baby. Even though the copy of it here was flatbed scanned through the plastic negative sleeve, it looks nearly as good as all of the other frames scanned with the Nikon.